St. Philip’s College Mission
St. Philip’s College, founded in I898, is a comprehensive, public community college whose mission is to provide a quality educational environment, which stimulates leadership, personal growth and a lifelong appreciation for learning.
As a Historically Black College and a Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s College strives to be an important force in the community, responsive to the needs of a population rich in its ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic diversity. St. Philip’s College seeks to create an environment fostering excellence in academic and technical achievement while expanding its commitment to opportunity and access. The College takes pride in its individual attention to students in a flexible and sensitive environment. As a dynamic and innovative institution, St. Philip’s College values the role of creative and critical thought in preparing its students, campus and community to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
St. Philip’s College provides an educational experience that stimulates leadership, personal growth, and a lifelong appreciation for learning.
St. Philip’s College will set the standard for achieving excellence in student success to build a vibrant, cohesive, and sustainable community.
INTEGRITY - We have the courage to act ethically, building a culture of trust and respect.
COMMUNICATION - We engage in open and transparent communication, information sharing, and collaboration. COMMUNITY - We commit to a culture of learning and service where unity in diversity occurs through mutual respect, cooperation, and accessibility.
CREATIVITY - We value creativity, growth, and transformation through vigorous inquiry and a free exchange of ideas for all.
ACCOUNTABILITY - We take responsibility for our actions and strive for continuous learning and improvement.
The College fulfills its mission by providing:
- General education courses in arts and sciences;
- Transfer education for students desiring to attend a senior institution;
- Developmental courses that improve the basic skills of students whose academic foundations need strengthening;
- Applied science and technical programs designed to prepare students for employment or for the updating of skills;
- Special occupational training and upgrading programs for business, industry, government;
- Continuing education programs for occupational or cultural enrichment;
- Counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their educational and professional goals;
- Educational support services that include library services, tutoring, and open-use computer labs, and a writing center;
- Services and appropriate accommodations for special needs individuals;
- Quality social, cultural, and intellectual enrichment experiences for the community;
- Opportunities for participation in community research and economic development.
Alamo Colleges’ Vision and Mission
The Alamo Colleges is comprised of five colleges and serves Bexar County and the surrounding areas with associate degrees, certificates, and licensures. The St. Philip’s College Strategic Plan is guided by the Alamo Colleges’ Vision, Mission, and Values:,
The Alamo Colleges will be the best in the nation in Student Success and Performance Excellence.
Empowering our diverse communities for success
Integrity, Communication, Community, Academic Freedom, Accountability and Innovation
St. Philip’s College was founded in 1898 by Bishop James Steptoe Johnston of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese. Established as a means of educating and training young African Americans, the school rapidly expanded its mission and grew to become a vital resource in the local community. From 1898 to 1900, instruction was directed by Ms. Alice Cowan. Mrs. Perry G. Walker succeeded her in 1900. In 1902, Ms. Artemisia Bowden, a teacher and daughter of a former slave, assumed leadership of the school. Under her direction over the ensuing 52 years, St. Philip’s would evolve from its humble beginnings as a parochial school to an accredited two-year college. Among notable milestones, in 1917 St. Philip’s moved from its original site to a new location just east of downtown, and, in 1942, agreed to affiliate itself with San Antonio College and the San Antonio Independent School District, thus making the transition from a private to public college. Change came again in 1945 when St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College joined together to form the San Antonio Union Junior College District under the direction of a newly assembled district board of trustees. In 1982, the district changed its name to the Alamo Community College District.
St. Philip’s grew again in 1987 when Southwest Campus, a district extension site on the former East Kelly Air Force Base, was designated as an official campus of the college. More recent additions include: a multi-million-dollar capital campaign in the early 90s that added four major new buildings to the main campus. Other expansions include the Northeast Learning Center in 1996, the Learning and Leadership Development Center in 1997 in partnership with the City of San Antonio, and a Child Development Center in 2000. In 2001, the Northeast Learning Center closed and transitioned to a new Alamo Colleges Northeast Campus, a joint project of St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College. In 2002, St. Philip’s collaborated with the Alamo Colleges again to help open the new Advanced Technology Center at Kelly USA.
Following passage of the 2005 Capital Improvements bond issue, St. Philip’s College added five new buildings. The MLK campus now boasts a new Center for Learning Resources, a Welcome Center and a Center for Health Professions. The Southwest Campus, added two facilities to enhance the Diesel Technology Program.
Additionally, in 2011 the Center for Excellence in Science and the Center for Excellence in Math were opened at the Southwest Campus.
Today, St. Philip’s College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the educational needs of the greater Bexar County region. St. Philip’s has distinguished itself for academic excellence in the arts and sciences and for outstanding programs in applied science and technology fields. Uniquely classified both as a Historically Black College and a Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s is one of the oldest and most diverse community colleges in the nation and one of the most dynamic in Texas.
St. Philip’s College is located on the east side of San Antonio, two miles from the center of town and is easily accessible from all parts of San Antonio and its surrounding areas. The College also operates the Southwest Campus located at 800 Quintana Road.
St. Philip’s College continues to expand and change as it strives to fulfill the diverse needs of the community. The facilities comprise the main campus and the Southwest Campus. The facilities include:
Applied Sciences and Technology (ASB)
Completed in 1992, this structure houses laboratories for Electronics, Biomedical Equipment Technology, CISCO Academy, Foreign Language, and the Automotive Technology Department.
Bowden Building (BOWD)
The Bowden Building, built in 1953 and dedicated in honor of Ms. Artemisia Bowden in 1954, underwent major renovations in 1996 in order to accommodate the Business Information Solutions Department. The department currently consists of the following programs: Accounting Information Systems, Administrative Computer Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, Information Technology, and Web Developer. The Business Information Solutions Department is also home to the Corporate and Entrepreneurial Training Center and the Microsoft Testing Center for Microsoft Office Specialists as well as the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Center.
Campus Center (CC)
Built in 1953 and renovated in 1978 and 1987, this building houses the bookstore, the Department of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts which includes Artemisia’s and commercial kitchens for instruction in Baking and Pastry Arts, Culinary Arts, Hospitality Event, Hotel and Restaurant Management Programs and the college cafeteria. The Heritage Room, one of the college’s major venues, and the United States Post Office are also located in this building.
Center for Health Professions (CHP)
The Center for Healthcare Professions provides hands-on, real-life instruction facilities for nursing, histology, medical laboratory, radiography, sonography, occupational therapy assistant, physical therapy assistant, surgical technology, respiratory care, invasive cardiovascular technology, health information technology and kinesiology. It includes complete radiology systems, two surgical suites, four simulation rooms for training nurses, eight general hospital rooms, a nurse’s station, and it also houses the Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr., Human Patient Simulator Lab.
Center for Learning Resources (CLR)
The Center for Learning Resources (CLR) houses the library, Student Development faculty, the Center for Distance Learning and Media Services. The CLR provides an educational environment that supports the research, study, computer and learning resource needs of classroom and distance learning students at the Martin Luther King and the Southwest Campus. Students have access to books, periodicals, videos, CDs and DVDs and other learning materials as well as to a wide array of online resources including academic databases to support classroom research assignments. Reference librarians are available to assist students in their research and information literacy needs. Ask a Librarian services are available online 24/7 for research assistance within 24 hours and InterLibrary Loan lending service allows students to obtain materials from other academic libraries across the state. Assistive technologies are available to patrons with disabilities.
Child Development Center (CDC)
Built in 2000, the Child Development Center is located on the northwest corner of the campus for optimal convenience and can accommodate up to 57 children. In 2008, the Child Development Center was realigned with Early Childhood Studies Department. The center serves as a campus wide learning laboratory for students to build knowledge and practical skills in the overall development of young children.
Continuing Education Building (CEB)
Completed in 1992, the Continuing Education Building houses the central offices of Workforce Development and Continuing Education and three key academies – the Academy of Professional Development Training, the Academy of Health Careers Training, and the Academy of Fine Arts. In addition to offices, the classrooms and laboratories are designed to provide hands-on and/or computer-based instruction and for Massage Therapy, Certified Nurse’s Aide Certification, real estate certifications, and Commercial Driver’s License, among several other courses.
Learning and Leadership Development Center (LLDC)
The Learning and Leadership Development Center (LLDC) was opened around November 1992 in a joint use agreement between the City of San Antonio and Alamo Colleges / St. Philip’s College. It was the result of a $46 million City of San Antonio Library/Learning Center Bond initiative passed by voters in 1989. The LLDC houses the Community Service Training Center, which provides GED training and other basic education instruction.
Diesel Technology Center
The Diesel Technology Center at the Southwest Campus, completed in 2009, consists of two buildings—a classroom building and a diesel technology lab with ten instructional diesel technology bays. Features of the Center include a hydraulics laboratory, a trainer classroom and high-bay diesel mechanics instructional spaces.
Completed in 1977, this building houses the offices for the Facility Superintendent for SPC/SWC and maintenance. Additionally, it includes the shop areas for electrical, general maintenance, grounds, housekeeping, structural, and HVAC.
Health and Fitness Center (HFC)
Built in 1949 and remodeled in 1986, this structure contains a basketball court, a volleyball court, an aerobic studio, an indoor swimming pool, a weight room, locker rooms, a classroom and instructors’ offices.
Norris Technical Center Building (NTB)
Built in 1970 and originally completed with three floors, the Norris Technical Center Building received a fourth floor which was added in 1972. Dedicated in honor of Clarence W. Norris, Dean Emeritus, in 1975, NTB underwent a complete renovation in 1996 and now houses the Communication and Learning Department, the office of Information and Communication Technology and the Instructional Innovational Center. The Reading Lab, the Rose R. Thomas Writing Center and the Developmental English Lab are also housed in this building.
Public Safety (Campus Police)
Completed in 1977, this structure houses the offices and operational facilities of the Department of Public Safety.
William C. Davis Science Building (SCI)
This structure which was constructed in 1992 was completely renovated in 2012 and renamed after Dr.William C. Davis. It now houses the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Departments and the Dean of Arts and Sciences. The facility contains seven Biology, five Chemistry and two Physics laboratories. It is also home of Math World and the Natural Sciences Tutoring Center.
G. J. Sutton Learning Center (SLC)
Completed in 1977, this building contains the Disability Resource Center, First Year Experience and the Service Learning Center. The Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, faculty offices, general purpose classrooms and Dual Credit Office are housed in this building as well as the President’s office, Vice-Presidents’ offices and Dean of Student Success office. The building was dedicated in honor of G. J. Sutton in 1979.
E. L. Turbon Student Center (TURB)
This building, constructed in 1953 and renovated in 1976 and 1996, houses a student conference room, the student government office, study areas, lockers, lounge areas, and a variety of recreational features. This building is the center of co-curricular activities. In 1996, the E. L. Turbon Student Center (formerly The Watson Fine Arts Center) was renamed for Everett L. Turbon who devoted 36 years of service to St. Philip’s College.
Watson Fine Arts Center (WFAC)
Completed in 1992, this structure features a 600 seat theatre and instructional facilities for the study of art, music, dance, and drama. This Center boasts studios, practice rooms, a gallery/conference room, and instructors’ offices. In 1996, WFAC was dedicated in honor of Leonidas Watson, Associate Dean Emeritus.
Welcome Center (WEC)
The Welcome Center provides one location for student service needs including admissions, assessment, counseling, financial aid, recruitment, international programs, bursar’s services, G.E.D. testing, veterans’ affairs, international students resources and registration and payment facilities.
Southwest Campus (SWC)
The Southwest Campus has been a vital part of the St. Philip’s College since the mid-1980s. Located at 800 Quintana Road, the Southwest Campus is the site of the Aircraft, Construction, and Manufacturing Technologies Department, part of the Transportation Service Technologies Department, and part of the Applied Electrical and Mechanical Technology Department. Students can take classes leading to certificates and degrees in Aircraft Technology, Welding, Plumbing, Construction Technology, Manufacturing, Diesel/Heavy Equipment Technology, Auto Collision, Power Generation & Alternative Energy, Electrical Trades, Instrumentation and Process Control and HVAC. In 1996, the Alamo Career Transition Center joined St. Philip’s College Southwest Campus as the primary location for Kelly AFB dislocated workers seeking career counseling and retraining. In 2005, St. Philip’s College partnered with Toyota to develop and implement technical training at the Southwest Campus for the opening of the new plant in San Antonio. A comprehensive renovation and upgrade of the Manufacturing Lab and equipment as well as renovation of classrooms and faculty offices was completed in 2009, creating a modern, up-to-date learning environment for the students. In 2009 the college celebrated the Grand Opening of the new Diesel Technology building including a world class shop/ lab facility with ten high bays, three new diesel trucks, the latest models of tools and training equipment, class rooms , and faculty offices. In 2012 a thirteen year training relationship with the Boeing Corporation was renewed to support the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. We also serve our students with the continuous support from Project Quest. The buildings at St. Philip’s Southwest Campus also house several hundred thousand square feet of lab space, class rooms, faculty offices, administrative offices, the Learning Resource Center, Student Services including Advisement and Enrollment, Continuing Education, Workforce Development, Contract Training, the SAISD Phoenix Program, as well as the Alamo Area Aerospace Academy and Advanced Technology Manufacturing Academy. In 2010, completion of the Centers of Excellence in Mathematics and Science was accomplished. This STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) initiative has positioned St. Philip’s to transform the culture and dynamics of STEM education in San Antonio and South Texas. The Centers are a cooperative effort based on community outreach, businesses and workforce partnerships, university transfer, college preparation and professional development teacher programs. The Cafeteria was renovated in 2011 and now includes a Cafetorium which provides additional space for campus meetings and presentations. A Bistro Café was added in 2012.