St. Philip's College Schedule/Catalog 2016-2017 [Archived Catalog]
Air Conditioning and Heating, A.A.S.
The Air Conditioning and Heating AAS will prepare the student for a career in the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning industry. The program prepares students to service existing systems and install systems in new construction. Topics covered includes: environmental controls, refrigeration, gas heating, heat pumps, duct fabrication, and national and municipal codes. The program also includes an introduction to refrigeration operation and prepares students for Environmental Protection Agency certification.
- Finger and manual dexterity are necessary when working with electrical and mechanical systems.
- Color discrimination is necessary to differentiate wire and resistance color coding.
- Ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel and/or lift heavy loads, i.e., ladders and tool boxes.
- Near-visual acuity and depth perception are needed when working with small parts.
Course Enrollment Guidelines:
- Enrollment in any Air Conditioning or Refrigeration course should be based solely upon student knowledge and experience of the subject matter. Any attempt to bypass course prerequisites may cause student failure.
- To prevent failure, ALL STUDENTS MUST MEET PREREQUISITES of all courses BEFORE registration unless he or she has completed an Advanced Standing Credit Test or has audited a class. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Graduates can find employment in a wide variety of settings from residential, commercial or industrial service or new construction.