A Mission of St. Philip’s College
As one of the colleges of the Alamo Colleges, St. Philip’s College fosters the stated mission of the Alamo Colleges and expresses this commitment through the following mission:
St. Philip’s College, founded in 1898, is a comprehensive, public community college whose mission is to provide a quality educational environment which stimulates leadership, personal growth, and a lifelong appreciation for learning.
As a Historically Black College and as a Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s College strives to be an important force in the community, responsive to the needs of a population rich in its ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic diversity. St. Philip’s College seeks to create an environment fostering excellence in academic and technical achievement, while expanding its commitment to opportunity and access.
The College takes pride in its individual attention to students in a flexible and sensitive environment. As a dynamic and innovative institution, St. Philip’s College values the role of creative and critical thought in preparing its students, campus, and community to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
The College Fulfills its Mission by Providing
- General education courses in arts and sciences.
- Transfer education for students desiring to attend a senior institution.
- Developmental courses that improve the basic skills of students whose academic foundations need strengthening.
- Applied science and technical programs designed to prepare students for employment or for the updating of skills.
- Special occupational training and upgrading programs for business, industry, government and workforce development needs.
- Continuing education programs for occupational or cultural enrichment.
- Counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their educational and professional goals.
- Educational support services that include library services, tutoring, and open-use computer labs.
- Services and appropriate accommodations for special needs individuals.
- Quality social, cultural, and intellectual enrichment experiences for the community.
- Opportunities for participation in community research and economic development.
- Dual credit partnerships with independent school districts.
Mission of the Alamo Colleges
The Alamo Colleges will be the best in the nation.
Empowering our diverse communities for success.
Goal 1: Maintain and extend an open door and affordable access to quality higher education for citizens of Bexar County and surrounding service area.
Goal 2: Increase academic support of students, with emphasis on low-income students and students of color.
Goal 3: Build a world-class workforce education and training capacity in partnership with businesses and community-based organizations.
Goal 4: Develop the human capital and strengthen the financial, technological, and physical capacities of the Alamo Colleges for first-rate student and community services.
Goal 5: Foster integrated organizational communication to consistently promote the positive impact and value of the Alamo Colleges to the community of Bexar County and surrounding service area.
St. Philip’s College was founded in 1898 by Bishop James Steptoe Johnston of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese. Established as a means of educating and training young African Americans, the school rapidly expanded its mission and grew to become a vital resource in the local community. From 1898 to 1900, instruction was directed by Ms. Alice Cowan. Mrs. Perry G. Walker succeeded her in 1900. In 1902, Ms. Artemisia Bowden, a teacher and daughter of a former slave, assumed leadership of the school. Under her direction over the ensuing 52 years, St. Philip’s would evolve from its humble beginnings as a parochial school to an accredited two-year college. Among notable milestones, in 1917 St. Philip’s moved from its original site to a new location just east of downtown, and, in 1942, agreed to affiliate itself with San Antonio College and the San Antonio Independent School District, thus making the transition from a private to public college. Change came again in 1945 when St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College joined together to form the San Antonio Union Junior College District under the direction of a newly assembled district board of trustees. In 1982, the district changed its name to the Alamo Community College District.
St. Philip’s grew again in 1987 when Southwest Campus, a district extension site on the former East Kelly Air Force Base, was designated as an official campus of the college. More recent additions include: a multi-million-dollar capital campaign in the early 90s that added four major new buildings to the main campus. Other expansions include the Northeast Learning Center in 1996, the Learning and Leadership Development Center in 1997 in partnership with the City of San Antonio, and a Child Development Center in 2000. In 2001, the Northeast Learning Center closed and transitioned to a new Alamo Colleges Northeast Campus, a joint project of St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College. In 2002, St. Philip’s collaborated with the Alamo Colleges again to help open the new Advanced Technology Center at Kelly USA.
Following passage of the 2005 Capital Improvements bond issue, St. Philip’s College added five new buildings. The MLK campus now boasts a new Center for Learning Resources, a Welcome Center and a Center for Health Professions. The Southwest Campus, added two facilities to enhance the Diesel Technology Program.
Additionally, in 2011 the Center for Excellence in Science and the Center for Excellence in Math were opened at the Southwest Campus.
Today, St. Philip’s College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the educational needs of the greater Bexar County region. St. Philip’s has distinguished itself for academic excellence in the arts and sciences and for outstanding programs in applied science and technology fields. Uniquely classified both as a Historically Black College and a Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s is one of the oldest and most diverse community colleges in the nation and one of the most dynamic in Texas.
St. Philip’s College is located on the east side of San Antonio, two miles from the center of town and is easily accessible from all parts of San Antonio and its surrounding areas. The College also operates the Southwest Campus located at 800 Quintana Road.
St. Philip’s College continues to expand and change as it strives to fulfill the diverse needs of the community. The facilities comprise the main campus and the Southwest Campus. The facilities include:
Applied Sciences and Technology (ASB)
Completed in 1992, this structure houses laboratories for Electronics, Biomedical Equipment Technology, CISCO Academy, Foreign Language, and the Automotive Technology Department.
Bowden Building (BOWD)
The Bowden Building, built in 1953 and dedicated in honor of Ms. Artemesia Bowden in 1954, underwent major renovations in 1996 in order to accommodate the Business Information Solutions Department. The department currently consists of the following programs: Accounting Information Systems, Administrative Computer Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, and Web Developer. The Business Information Solutions Department is also home to the Corporate and Entrepreneurial Training Center and the Microsoft Testing Center for Microsoft Office Specialists.
Campus Center (CC)
Built in 1953 and renovated in 1978 and 1987, this building houses the bookstore, the Department of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts which includes the Upper Deck Restaurant and laboratories, Baking and Pastry Arts, Culinary Arts, Hospitality Event, Hotel and Restaurant Management Programs and the college cafeteria. The Heritage Room, one of the college’s major venues, is also located in this building.
Center for Health Professions (CHP)
The Center for Healthcare Professions provides hands-on, real-life instruction facilities for nursing, histology, medical laboratory, radiography, sonography, occupation therapy, physical therapy, surgical technology, respiratory care, invasive cardiovascular technology, health information technology and kinesiology. It includes complete radiology systems, two surgical suites, four simulation rooms for training nurses, eight general hospital rooms and a nurse’s station.
Center for Learning Resources (CLR)
The Center for Learning Resources includes books, periodical, computer-based resources, Internet accessibility and multimedia resources.
Child Development Center (CDC)
Built in 2000, the Child Development Center is located on the northwest corner of the campus for optimal convenience and can accommodate up to 57 children. In 2008, the Child Development Center was realigned with Early Childhood Studies Department. The center serves as a campus wide learning laboratory for students to build knowledge and practical skills in the overall development of young children.
Continuing Education Building (CEB)
Completed in 1992, this structure houses classrooms, laboratories, and offices.
Diesel Technology Center
The Diesel Technology Center at the Southwest Campus includes a campus building and a diesel technology lab with ten instructional diesel technology bays. Features of the Center include a hydraulics laboratory, a trainer classroom and high-bay diesel mechanics instructional spaces.
Completed in 1977, this building houses the offices for the Facility Superintendent for SPC/SWC and maintenance. Additionally, it includes the shop areas for electrical, general maintenance, grounds, housekeeping, structural, and HVAC.
Health and Fitness Center (HFC)
Built in 1949 and remodeled in 1986, this structure contains a basketball court, a volleyball court, an aerobic studio, an indoor swimming pool, a weight room, locker rooms, a classroom and instructors’ offices.
Norris Technical Center Building (NTB)
Built in 1970 and originally completed with three floors, the Norris Technical Center Building received a fourth which was added in 1972. Dedicated in honor of Clarence W. Norris, Dean Emeritus, in 1975, the NTB underwent a complete renovation in 1996 and now houses the Math, Reading and English Departments, Educational Support Services, Instructional Technologies and the Center for Distance Learning. This building is also home to the Learning Lab, the Reading Lab, the Instructional Innovation Center, the Center for Educational Research and the Rose R. Thomas Writing Center.
Public Safety (Campus Police)
Completed in 1977, this structure houses the offices and operational facilities of the Department of Public Safety.
Science Building (SCI)
This structure, which was completed in 1992, houses laboratories for Allied Health programs, Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and the Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr., Human Patient Simulator Lab. It also includes numerous lecture rooms and instructors’ offices.
G. J. Sutton Learning Center (SLC)
Completed in 1977, this building contains Enrollment Management, the Office of Records and Registration, Admissions, Counseling, Advising and Assessment, Business Office, classrooms, the Learning Resource Center, Veterans Affairs, and instructors’ offices. The President’s office, Vice-Presidents’ offices and Deans’ offices are also located in this building. The building was dedicated in honor of G. J. Sutton in 1979.
E. L. Turbon Student Center (TURB)
This building, constructed in 1953 and renovated in 1976 and 1996, houses a student conference room, the student government office, the student newspaper office, study areas, lockers, lounge areas, and a variety of recreational features. This building is the center of co-curricular activities. In 1996, the E. L. Turbon Student Center (formerly The Watson Fine Arts Center) was renamed for Everett L. Turbon who devoted 36 years of service to St. Philip’s College.
Watson Fine Arts Center (WFAC)
Completed in 1992, this structure features a 600 seat theatre and instructional facilities for the study of art, music, dance, and drama. This Center boasts studios, practice rooms, a gallery/conference room, and instructors’ offices. In 1996, WFAC was dedicated in honor of Leonidas Watson, Associate Dean Emeritus.
Welcome Center (WEC)
The Welcome Center provides one location for student service needs, including assessment, counseling, financial aid, bursar’s services, G.E.D. testing, veterans’ affairs, international students resources and registration and payment facilities.
Southwest Campus (SWC)
The Southwest Campus has been a vital part of St. Philip’s College since the mid-1980s. Located at 800 Quintana Road, the Southwest Campus is the site of the Multi-Modal Transportation, Allied Construction Trades, and Repair and Manufacturing Departments, with ten programs of study. In 1996, the Alamo Career Transition Center joined Southwest Campus as the primary location for Kelly AFB dislocated workers seeking career counseling and retraining. In 2005, partnered with Toyota to develop and implement technical training for the opening of the new plant in San Antonio. The three main buildings of Southwest Campus also house administrative offices, the Learning Resource Center, Advising and Enrollment Services, Continuing Education/Contract Training, SAISD Phoenix High School, Youth Opportunity Program, Workforce Development Skills and GED Academy, the Alamo Academies (Alamo Area Aerospace Academy, Manufacturing Technology Academy and the Information Technology and Security Academy), Texas One Stop Workforce Center, and other specialized workforce development training programs. Several of these programs offer students the opportunity to train at community sites at the San Antonio Housing Authority, and MAUC locations.