St. Philip’s College Mission
St. Philip’s College, founded in 1898, is a comprehensive public community college whose mission is to empower our diverse student population through personal educational growth, ethical decision-making, career readiness, and community leadership. As a Historically Black College and Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s College is a vital facet of the community, responding to the needs of a population rich in ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic diversity. St. Philip’s College creates an environment fostering excellence in academic and technical achievement while expanding its commitment to opportunity and access.
The college fulfills its mission by offering:
1) General courses in arts and sciences leading to an associate degree.
2) Transfer education for students desiring to attend senior institutions.
3) Developmental courses that improve the basic skills of students whose academic foundations require strengthening.
4) Applied Science and technical programs leading to an associate degree or certificate designed to prepare students
for employment and/or to update crucial skills.
5) Workforce and Career development training programs for business, industry and government.
6) Continuing education programs for occupational and educational enrichment or certification.
7) Counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their educational and professional goals.
8) Educational support services including library services, tutoring, open use computer labs and writing center.
9) Services and appropriate accommodations for special populations, to include adult literacy and distance education.
10) Quality social, cultural, and intellectual enrichment experiences for the community.
11) Opportunities for participation in community service and economic development projects.
St. Philip’s College will be the best in the nation in Student Success and Performance Excellence.
St. Philip’s College is committed to building individual and collective character through the following set of shared values in order to fulfill our vision and mission.
Students First, Respect for All, Collaboration, Community Engaged, Can Do Spirit, Data Informed
- Student Success: Provide academic and student support and align labor market-based pathways to achieve student completion.
- Leadership: Provide opportunities for St. Philip’s College students and employees to develop as leaders.
- Performance Excellence: Continuously improve our employees, financial, technological, physical and other capacities to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Reaffirmation: Successful submission of the decennial SACSCOC Focused Report and QEP Proposal.
Alamo Colleges Vision and Mission
The Alamo Colleges is comprised of five colleges and serves Bexar County and surrounding areas with associate degrees, certificates, and licensures. St. Philip’s College Strategic Plan is guided by Alamo Colleges Vision, Mission, and Values:,
The Alamo Colleges will be the best in the nation in Student Success and Performance Excellence.
Empowering our diverse communities for success
The members of Alamo Colleges are committed to building individual and collective character through the following set of shared values in order to fulfill our vision and mission.
• Students First
• Respect for All
• Community Engaged
• Can Do Spirit
• Data Informed
St. Philip’s College was founded in 1898 by Bishop James Steptoe Johnston of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese. Established as a means of educating and training young African Americans, the school rapidly expanded its mission and grew to become a vital resource in the local community. From 1898 to 1900, instruction was directed by Ms. Alice Cowan. Mrs. Perry G. Walker succeeded her in 1900. In 1902, Ms. Artemisia Bowden, a teacher and daughter of a former slave, assumed leadership of the school. Under her direction over the ensuing 52 years, St. Philip’s would evolve from its humble beginnings as a parochial school to an accredited two-year college. Among notable milestones, in 1917 St. Philip’s moved from its original site to a new location just east of downtown, and, in 1942, agreed to affiliate itself with San Antonio College and the San Antonio Independent School District, thus making the transition from a private to public college. Change came again in 1945 when St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College joined together to form the San Antonio Union Junior College District under the direction of a newly assembled district board of trustees. In 1982, the district changed its name to the Alamo Community College District.
St. Philip’s grew again in 1987 when Southwest Campus, a district extension site on the former East Kelly Air Force Base, was designated as an official campus of the college. More recent additions include: a multi-million-dollar capital campaign in the early 90s that added four major new buildings to the main campus. Other expansions include the Northeast Learning Center in 1996, the Learning and Leadership Development Center in 1997 in partnership with the City of San Antonio, and a Child Development Center in 2000. In 2001, the Northeast Learning Center closed and transitioned to a new Alamo Colleges Northeast Campus, a joint project of St. Philip’s College and San Antonio College. In 2002, St. Philip’s collaborated with the Alamo Colleges again to help open the new Advanced Technology Center at Kelly USA.
Following passage of the 2005 Capital Improvements bond issue, St. Philip’s College added five new buildings. The MLK campus now boasts a new Center for Learning Resources, a Welcome Center and a Center for Health Professions. The Southwest Campus, added two facilities to enhance the Diesel Technology Program.
Additionally, in 2011 the Center for Excellence in Science and the Center for Excellence in Math were opened at the Southwest Campus.
Today, St. Philip’s College is a comprehensive community college focused on meeting the educational needs of the greater Bexar County region. St. Philip’s has distinguished itself for academic excellence in the arts and sciences and for outstanding programs in applied science and technology fields. Uniquely classified both as a Historically Black College and a Hispanic Serving Institution, St. Philip’s is one of the oldest and most diverse community colleges in the nation and one of the most dynamic in Texas.
St. Philip’s College is located on the east side of San Antonio, two miles from the center of town and is easily accessible from all parts of San Antonio and its surrounding areas. The College also operates the Southwest Campus located at 800 Quintana Road.
St. Philip’s College continues to expand and change as it strives to fulfill the diverse needs of the community. The facilities comprise the main campus and the Southwest Campus. The facilities include:
Applied Sciences and Technology (ASB)
This building was completed in 1993 and is home to Biomedical Equipment Technology, Automotive Technology, CISCO Academy, and Electronic Systems Technology.
Bowden Building (BOWD)
The Bowden Building, built in 1953 and dedicated in honor of Miss Artemisia Bowden in 1954, underwent major renovations in 1996 in order to accommodate the Business Information Solutions Department. The department consists of the following programs: Accounting, Administrative Office Technology, Business Administration, Business Management, Computer Science, Information Security and Assurance, Network Administration, and Web and Mobile Development . Business Information Solutions is also home to the Corporate and Entrepreneurial Training Center, Certified Internet Webmaster Program and the Microsoft Office Specialist Testing Center. In the fall of 2014, St. Philip’s College in partnership with San Antonio Independent School District created an Early College High School where high school students have an opportunity to earn a high school diploma and complete either an Associate’s degree, up to 60 college credit hours toward a baccalaureate degree, or college hours towards a Level I Certificate. Classes for these students are held in the Bowden Building.
Campus Center (CC)
Built in 1953 and renovated in 1978 and 1987, this building houses the bookstore, the Department of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts which includes Artemisia’s and commercial kitchens for instruction in Baking and Pastry Arts, Culinary Arts, Hospitality Event, Hotel and Restaurant Management Programs and the college cafeteria. The Heritage Room, one of the college’s major venues, and the United States Post Office are also located in this building.
Center for Health Professions (CHP)
The Center for Health Professions, also constructed in 2009, is an advanced medical training facility that provides hands-on, simulated instruction. Its capabilities consist of classrooms and labs meant to replicate various departments found throughout healthcare facilities and supports career programs such as vocational nursing, surgical technology, radiology and diagnostic imaging, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, and health information technology. It includes complete radiology systems, two surgical suites, four simulation rooms for training nurses, eight general hospital rooms, a nurse’s station, and it also houses the Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr. Human Patient Simulator Lab.
Center for Learning Resources (CLR)
The Center for Learning Resources on the MLK campus was built in 2009 and is a 66,000 square foot facility allocated over three floors. The Learning Resource Center’s mission is to provide an educational Page 64 environment which stimulates leadership, personal growth, and a lifelong appreciation for learning while focusing on the importance of being responsible to a population rich in its ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity. The library includes a two-story library stacks area and many private reading areas. The circulation desk, which serves as a primary information gathering and public system hub for the library system, is located directly inside the main doors of the first floor. Physical periodicals (magazines, journals and newspapers, as well as the microform collection) can also be found on the first floor, integrated with 16 casual reading chairs, five group study tables and a public copier. On the second floor, patrons have access to an open public lab with 48 computers, three public copiers, additional physical collection (including books, DVDs, CDs, etc.) and two public assistance service points: the information desk and the reference desk. In order to help provide consistent service to all members of the user population, there is a room dedicated to disability services, equipped with a Kurzweil/Assistive technologies computer and a SARA (Scanning and Reading Appliance) machine. There are eight individual study rooms and seven group study rooms as well as a group study computer lab containing 36 computers and two scanners. Throughout the second floor, patrons may avail themselves of one of 28 casual reading chairs and one of 24 sets of study tables and chairs for academic work, singly or in groups of four to eight people. Finally, the Media Viewing Room contains a typewriter, two scanners with workstations, three TV/DVD combination stations and six TV/VHS combination stations. The third floor public area is reserved for quiet study/work space. It contains 24 comfortable chairs, 12 coffee tables and 12 group study tables seating four to eight students each.
Child Development Center (CDC)
Built in 2001, The Child Development Center is located on the northwest corner of the campus on Wyoming Street, and can accommodate up to 57 children. The Center provides childcare services to the students and staff of St. Philip’s College. The mission of the center is to provide the highest quality training for students and early care and education for children with respect to cultural differences, developmental capabilities and educational opportunities.
Continuing Education Building (CEB)
Completed in 1992, the Continuing Education Building houses the central offices of Workforce Development and Continuing Education and three key academies - the Academy of Professional Development Training, the Academy of Health Careers Training, and the Academy of Fine Arts. In addition to offices, the classrooms and laboratories are designed to provide hands-on and/or computer-based instruction and for Massage Therapy, Certified Nurse’s Aide Certification, real estate certifications, and Commercial Driver’s License, among several other courses.
Learning and Leadership Development Center (LLDC)
Built in 1997, the Learning and Leadership Development Center is located on Meerscheidt Street, between Maryland and Dakota Street, and west of the Sutton Learning Center. The Learning and Leadership Development Center houses classrooms and computer labs designed to assist community members attain literacy skills. This building is shared with the City of San Antonio’s literacy programs.
Diesel Technology Center
The Diesel Technology Center at the Southwest Campus, completed in 2009, consists of two buildings-a classroom building and a diesel technology lab with ten instructional diesel technology bays. Features of the Center include a hydraulics laboratory, a trainer classroom and high-bay diesel mechanics instructional spaces.
Completed in 1977, this building houses the offices for the Facility Superintendent for SPC/SWC and maintenance. Additionally, it includes the shop areas for electrical, general maintenance, grounds, housekeeping, structural, and HVAC.
Health and Fitness Center (HFC)
The Health and Fitness Center, built in 1942 and remodeled in 1999, contains a basketball court, a volleyball court, an aerobic studio, an indoor swimming pool, a weight room, dressing rooms, computer laboratories, and instructors’ offices. The gym is available to all students, faculty, and staff.
Norris Technical Center Building (NTB)
Built in 1970 and originally completed with three floors, the Norris Technical Building received a fourth floor which was added in 1972. Dedicated in honor of Clarence W. Norris, Dean Emeritus, in 1975, the Norris Technical Building underwent a renovation in 1996 and now houses the Communications and Learning Department, the Reading Lab, the Rose R. Thomas Writing Center and the Developmental English Lab.
Public Safety (Campus Police)
Completed in 1977, this structure houses the offices and operational facilities of the Department of Public Safety.
William C. Davis Science Building (SCI)
This structure which was constructed in 1992 was completely renovated in 2012 and renamed after Professor Emeritus Dr. William Conan Davis. It now houses the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Departments and the Dean of Arts and Sciences. The facility contains seven Biology, five Chemistry, and two Physics laboratories. It is also home of MathWorld and the Natural Sciences Tutoring Center.
Sutton Learning Center (SLC)
St. Philip’s College recently completed the renovation of the Sutton Learning Center (SLC) in 2014 to accommodate the colleges’ administrative offices, Instructional Innovation Center, Center for Distance Learning, classrooms for instruction, employee wellness center and educational support services to support student success. The renovation also includes the President’s Gallery, the Artemisia Bowden Gallery featuring an art collection donated by Mayor Emeritus Lila Cockrell, and the Bowden Alumni Center.
E. L. Turbon Student Center (TURB)
This building, constructed in 1953 and renovated in 1976 and 1996, houses a student conference room, the student government office, study areas, lockers, lounge areas, and a variety of recreational features. This building is the center of co-curricular activities. In 1996, the E. L. Turbon Student Center (formerly The Watson Fine Arts Center) was renamed for Everett L. Turbon who devoted 36 years of service to St. Philip’s College.
Watson Fine Arts Center (WFAC)
Completed in 1992, this structure features a 600 seat theatre and instructional facilities for the study of art, music, dance, and drama. This Center boasts studios, practice rooms, a gallery/conference room, and instructors’ offices. In 1996, WFAC was dedicated in honor of Leonidas Watson, Associate Dean Emeritus.
Welcome Center (WEC)
The Welcome Center provides one location for student service needs including admissions, assessment, counseling, financial aid, recruitment, international programs, bursar’s services, G.E.D. testing, veterans’ affairs, international students resources and registration and payment facilities.
Southwest Campus (SWC)
The Southwest Campus has been a vital part of St. Philip’s College since 1987. Located at 800 Quintana Road, the Southwest Campus is the site of the Aircraft, Construction, and Manufacturing Programs, with ten programs of study. The three main buildings of Southwest Campus also house administrative offices, the Learning Resource Center, Advising and Enrollment Services, Workforce Development/Continuing Education (WD/CE), SAISD Phoenix High School, Workforce Development Skills, Advanced Technology and Manufacturing Academy, Alamo Area Aerospace Academy, and other specialized workforce development training programs. Several of these programs offer students the opportunity to train at community sites at the San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) locations.
In 2009, the College opened two new buildings: Diesel Technology Center and Lab which includes 10 instructional Diesel technology bays. These programs offer the most advanced diesel and heavy machinery maintenance training in the San Antonio area. Both the Center and Lab will also serve as a regional training center for Diesel technicians from such firms as Cummins, HOLT CAT, and Romco Equipment Company (a Volvo distributor based in San Antonio). In April 2011, the Southwest Campus celebrated the opening of three new science and math facilities. The facilities are the Center of Excellence in Science, the Center of Excellence in Mathematics, and the Alternative Energy Laboratory. These were built to increase the flow of two-year college graduates transferring to four-year universities for STEM related science and math degrees that lead to high-paying jobs in the green economy. As part of the new centers, students have access to a weather station and the largest non-commercial rooftop solar installation in the city. The new centers have debuted new green degree programs for students with specializations in power generation and bio-energy, along with the installation, repair, maintenance and construction of large alternative energy systems such as solar power. The Southwest Campus serves a vital role as the South Texas region’s primary center for technical and industrial training and education. A major satellite operation of St. Philip’s College, Southwest Campus serves approximately 2,000 students each semester, providing classroom instruction and hands-on training for careers in high-skill, high-wage fields such as construction technology, manufacturing technology, aircraft technology, Computer Numerical Control (CNC) technician, welding technology, and Diesel Light/heavy truck technology. The campus also remains a major training and development resource for business and industry, offering specialized training to help employees upgrade their technical on-the-job skills. Located near Port of San Antonio, Southwest Campus is strategically positioned as a world-class technical education center capable of meeting the needs of base employees facing career transitions as well as incoming employers in need of a highly skilled workforce.
A bistro café was added in 2012.